Learn the mindsets and tools of a systems thinker!
In 4 weeks, you will learn how to:
- Map a complex system to gain clarity.
- Identify specific leverage points in the system where you can make a big difference.
- Create hypotheses to describe how you will aim to design change in the system.
- Develop a framework for learning and adapting over time as your system changes.
Taming Complexity is hands-on and fully immersive. Expect a mix of activities to support learning-by-doing complemented with academic rigour and grounded in the reality of working with diverse communities.
Over 4 weeks, you will get an opportunity to:
- Meet change-makers from all around the world with different perspectives.
- Work on a problem that you're passionate about in your community
- Make mistakes and learn as a team
- Receive coaching and guidance along the way
- Attend 90-minute live, action-learning sessions
Complex systems and wicked problems
- What are complex systems?
- Why are some problems so difficult to tackle?
- How does system thinking help?
- What’s the mindset of a systems thinker?
Visualising complex systems
- How can we understand complex systems?
- How can we visualise and map complex systems?
- How do we set goals in complex systems?
- What is Theory of Change? How can we use it to envision our change?
Finding where to intervene
- How can we identify intervention points?
- How can we make a big difference with small experiments?
- How might we create a hypothesis to inspire action?
Understanding your impact
- What is a developmental approach to learning?
- How do we know we’re pushing the system in the right direction?
- How do we learn and adapt as the system changes?
Frequently asked questions
How much time will I need each week?
Between the live sessions and team assignments, you'll need about two hours a week. We often find that the more time people can spend, the more they will get out of the course! If you don't have that much time over a four week period, we recommend waiting until you do. This course will challenge you intellectually and personally, and you'll need to spend the time to get the most out of it.
How will I join a team?
You can do the course alone or as part of a team. If you choose to join a team, we will assign you to a team based on your shared interests and timezones. This helps in making sure that you can work well with your team and explore topics that are of interest.
Do you offer refunds?
We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! If you're not amazed at what you're learning, email us within 30 days and we'll give you all your money back! No questions asked.
What if I can't afford to pay?
We offer scholarships are for people who are struggling financially, living in developing countries, studying or looking for work.
Our only ask is that you join a special feedback group to help improve the course :)